Promex Industries is an electronic manufacturing services supplier specializing in process design and assembly services to support products that are challenging to manufacture. Unlike contract manufacturers providing commoditized services to support high-volume production, Promex works closely with its customers’ engineering teams during the design cycle to support customized processes. The resulting specialized assembly techniques, along with Promex Industries’ many strong, long-term customer relationships, have produced a 20% annual growth rate since 2008. Founded in 1975 and under the same private ownership for over 20 years, Promex Industries operates two ITAR-registered, ISO 9001:2015/ISO13485:2016- certified manufacturing facilities:
- Promex corporate headquarters and manufacturing facility is located in Santa Clara, California – the heart of Silicon Valley. Sixty-five percent of revenue is from medical and biotech customers, with the remainder from semiconductor and other high-tech companies. The percentage of revenue from medical and biotech customers is likely to increase due to the unique requirements of their complex products which only a specialized EMS like Promex can provide. For example, medical and biotech devices often include optical, chemical, RF and liquid elements. Some are combined with electronic devices to increase functionality or interaction with the environment. To produce these devices, multiple technologies are combined in a cost-effective way, ideally using a rapid process development cycle to minimize time to market. Combining technologies, as well as combining components with electronics, requires improved design methods and software. It also involves more material properties, longer supply chains, and a sophisticated manufacturing process, known as heterogenous assembly that was pioneered by Promex.
- Quik-Pak, a division of Promex Industries, provides IC packaging, assembly, and wafer preparation services from its San Diego, California facility. Quik-Pak’s air cavity plastic QFN packages, also known as Open molded Plastic Packages (OmPPs), are available in custom and 30 off-the-shelf sizes for prototype, mid-volume and production-volume requirements. Open Cavity Plastic Packages (OcPPs) can be turned around in 24 hours or less for rapid prototype assembly, design verification and customer samples. Quik-Pak also offers wire bonding for MW/RF applications and interconnect services for flip chip, BGAs, sensors, MEMS, and chip-on-board devices.
Position Structure: The COO position will report to the CEO initially, with the potential to become the CEO reporting to the board of directors. The role of the COO/CEO is to grow the revenue and EBITDA of the company, as well as maintaining its reputation for providing unsurpassed customer and employee satisfaction. The key to growth is capitalizing on the existing resources, strategy and vision to inspire the organization to find additional customer products, develop the custom manufacturing processes needed to build these products to the customer’s requirements and industry quality standards, and then producing the product for its lifetime with high yield and quality.
Duties and Responsibilities: The COO will be responsible for leading, planning and driving business initiatives, initially working closely with the Promex Industries CEO until such time as he/she demonstrates the ability to replace the CEO (~1 year) on a long-term (~10 year) basis. Specifically, the candidate will:
- Articulate Promex Industries’ vision, develop plans and take actions for implementation
- Develop and execute a branding and marketing plan to achieve sales growth of ~20%+/yr. by retaining and growing existing customers while developing new customers through targeted market activities (direct sales and marketing efforts) and indirect channels (internet, referrals)
- Form effective partnerships with appropriate organizations
- Develop a continuous stream of potential customers, partner with strategically compatible customers, develop suitable product-manufacturing processes, qualify processes and acquire commitments to build the product on a long-term basis
- Monitor customer manufacturing needs and industry manufacturing trends to ensure Promex can provide the necessary processes when demand develops
- Strengthen existing staff and workforce by utilizing training, hiring outstanding individuals and providing visionary leadership
- Build a company culture based on performance, urgency, integrity, accountability, execution, customer service, teamwork, candor and passion to build a great company
- Ensure the overall business operations and major projects are profitable by monitoring incoming material costs and quality, production yields and workforce utilization
Requirements: The Ideal candidate will have a recognizable industry profile in the medical, biotechnology, semiconductor or other high-technology industry segments and a proven track record of building a profitable, technology-based business, either as a CEO or within a larger organization. Specific requirements include:
- Experience as an executive building a business from $10-$20 million to +$40 million in annual sales
- Experience negotiating and managing strategic partnerships with customers, integrators and third parties
- Experience guiding the financial and operational functions of a company
- Degree in engineering
- Experience successfully recruiting and building an organization
- Ability to generate respect and enthusiasm from the executive team and champion ideas and strategies
- Highest level of intellectual and personal integrity
- Distinguished by balanced financial judgement, general business acumen, operational experience
- Independent thinker with courage of convictions, drive to refine a vision and achieve goals and objectives
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills
- Strong problem-solving and creative skills
- Ability to exercise sound judgment to make decisions based on accurate, quantitative, and timely analyses
Compensation: The COO/CEO is pivotal hire who will play a major role in the growth and success of Promex Industries. This highly successful executive will be rewarded with an attractive package, including a competitive base salary, incentive bonus and an equity stake in a valuable company poised to be an industry leader.
Work Environment: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand and/or walk for extended periods of time; use hands and fingers; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear. Indoors, environmentally controlled.
Job Type: Full-time. US citizenship is required as the facility is ITAR compliant.
To apply: Email your resume and cover letter to Yvonne Esquer firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the name of the position in the subject line. No phone calls please.